Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscars 2009 Picks & Predictions

It's that time again. In less than five hours, the Academy will begin to hand out those golden statuettes. As I did with this year's Golden Globes, I'll live-'blog with the winners. For now, here are my picks and predictions:

Final Prediction Accuracy Count: 17/24 (71%)
Final Prediction Accuracy Count (Not Including Short Films): 16/21 (76%)

Best Picture
- Winner: Slumdog Millionaire
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire.
My Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire.
I Would Vote for: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Best Director - Winner: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Nominees: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire), Stephen Daldry (The Reader), David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon), Gus Van Sant (Milk).
My Prediction: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire).
I Would Vote for: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire).

Best Actor - Winner: Sean Penn, Milk. Boooooooooo -- I guess Mickey will just have to give another once-in-a-lifetime performance.
Nominees: Richard Jenkins (The Visitor), Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon), Sean Penn (Milk), Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler).
My Prediction: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler).
I Would Vote for: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler).

Best Actress - Winner: Kate Winslet, The Reader
Nominees: Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married), Angelina Jolie (Changeling), Melissa Leo (Frozen River), Meryl Streep (Doubt), Kate Winslet (The Reader).
My Prediction: Kate Winslet (The Reader).
I Would Vote for: Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married).

Best Supporting Actor - Winner: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Nominees: Josh Brolin (Milk), Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt), Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight), Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road).
My Prediction: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight).
I Would Vote for: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight).

Best Supporting Actress - Winner: Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
Nominees: Amy Adams (Doubt), Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Viola Davis (Doubt), Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler).
My Prediction: Viola Davis (Doubt).
I Would Vote for: Viola Davis (Doubt).

Best Screenplay- Adapted - Winner: Slumdog Millionaire
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Doubt, Frost/Nixon, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire.
My Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire.
I Would Vote for: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Best Screenplay- Original - Winner: Milk
Nominees: Frozen River, Happy-Go-Lucky, In Bruges, Milk, WALL-E.
My Prediction: Milk.
I Would Vote for: Happy-Go-Lucky.

Best Animated Feature - Winner: WALL-E
Nominees: Bolt, Kung-Fu Panda, WALL-E.
My Prediction: WALL-E.
I Would Vote for: WALL-E.

Best Art Direction - Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Nominees: Changeling, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, The Duchess, Revolutionary Road.
My Prediction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
I Would Vote for: Revolutionary Road.

Best Cinematography - Winner: Slumdog Millionaire
Nominees: Changeling, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire.
My Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire.
I Would Vote for: Slumdog Millionaire.

Best Costume Design - Winner: The Duchess
Nominees: Australia, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Duchess, Milk, Revolutionary Road.
My Prediction: The Duchess.
I Would Vote for: The Duchess.

Best Documentary - Winner: Man on Wire
Nominees: The Betrayal, Encounters at the End of the World, The Garden, Man on Wire, Trouble the Water.
My Prediction: Man on Wire.
I Would Vote for: Man on Wire. (Note: I haven't seen The Garden.)

Best Film Editing - Winner: Slumdog Millionaire.
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire.
My Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire.
I Would Vote for: The Dark Knight.

Best Foreign Language Film - Winner: Departures (whoaaa... now I'm officially psyched to see this on Friday.)
Nominees: The Baader Meinhof Complex, The Class, Departures, Revanche, Waltz with Bashir.
My Prediction: Waltz with Bashir.
I Would Vote for: The Class. (Note: I haven't seen The Baader Meinhof Complex, Departures, or Revanche.)

Best Makeup - Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Hellboy II: The Golden Army.
My Prediction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
I Would Vote for: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Best Original Score - Winner: Slumdog Millionaire
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Defiance, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, WALL-E.
My Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire.
I Would Vote for: Slumdog Millionaire.

Best Original Song - Winner: "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire
Nominees: "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire, "O Saya" from Slumdog Millionaire, "Down to Earth" from WALL-E.
My Prediction: "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire.
I Would Vote for: "O Saya" from Slumdog Millionaire.

Best Sound Editing - Winner: The Dark Knight
Nominees: The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Slumdog Millionaire, WALL-E, Wanted.
My Prediction: WALL-E.
I Would Vote for: The Dark Knight.

Best Sound Mixing - Winner: Slumdog Millionaire
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Slumdog Millionaire, WALL-E, Wanted.
My Prediction: The Dark Knight.
I Would Vote for: The Dark Knight.

Best Visual Effects - Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight, Iron Man.
My Prediction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
I Would Vote for: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Best Short Film, Animated - Winner: "La Maison en Petits Cubes"
Nominees: "La Maison en Petits Cubes", "Lavatory - Lovestory", "Oktapodi", "Presto", "This Way Up".
My Prediction: "Presto" -- never doubt the power of Pixar.
I Would Vote for: Of the bunch, I've only seen "Presto". With the shorts available on iTunes and playing at a theatre near me, I have no excuse that I haven't seen them by now.

Best Short Film, Live Action - Winner: "Toyland"
Nominees: "On the Line", "Manon on the Asphault", "New Boy", "The Pig", "Toyland"
My Prediction: "Toyland" -- defaulting to Edward Havens over at FilmJerk.com.
I Would Vote for: With the shorts available on iTunes and playing at a theatre near me, I have no excuse that I haven't seen them by now.

Best Documentary Short - Winner: "Smile Pinki"
Nominees: "The Conscience of Nhem En", "The Final Inch", "Smile Pinki", "The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306"
My Prediction: "The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306", based on the sole criteria that it has the most intriguing title.
I Would Vote for: N/A -- to my knowledge, these aren't available for public viewing.