Sunday, January 11, 2009

Golden Globes Tonight (with live-'blogging)

The 66th Annual Golden Globes roll out the red carpet tonight and I have my picks and predictions to share. I'll also live 'blog the event with updates of the winners, my prediction-accuracy tally, and my commentary. Judging from the precursors, I think Slumdog Millionaire and Happy-Go-Lucky will be the big winners of the night. Without further adieu:

Final Prediction-Accuracy Count: 8/13 (62%).
Best Motion Picture- Drama: Slumdog Millionaire, well deserved if not my "pick".
Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, Slumdog Millionaire.
My Prediction: Slumdog Millionaire.
I Would Vote for: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Best Motion Picture- Comedy: Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
Nominees: Burn After Reading, Happy-Go-Lucky, In Bruges, Mamma Mia!, Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
My Prediction: Happy-Go-Lucky.
I Would Vote for: Happy-Go-Lucky.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture- Drama: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler) -- my record is going to hell and I don't care because the best are truly winning!
Nominees: Leonardo DiCaprio (Revolutionary Road), Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon), Sean Penn (Milk), Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler).
My Prediction: Sean Penn (Milk).
I Would Vote for: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler).

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture- Drama: Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road) -- screw that "clerical error", the best really did win!
Nominees: Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married), Angelina Jolie (Changeling), Meryl Streep (Doubt), Kristin Scott Thomas (I've Loved You So Long), Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road).
My Prediction: Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married).
I Would Vote for: Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road).

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy: Colin Farrell (In Bruges) -- WOAH I KNOW.
Nominees: Javier Bardem (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Colin Farrell (In Bruges), James Franco (Pineapple Express), Brendan Gleeson (In Bruges), Dustin Hoffman (Last Chance Harvey).
My Prediction: Javier Bardem (Vicky Cristina Barcelona).
I Would Vote for: Dustin Hoffman (Last Chance Harvey).

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy: Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky).
Nominees: Rebecca Hall (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky), Frances McDormand (Burn After Reading), Meryl Streep (Mamma Mia!), Emma Thompson (Last Chance Harvey).
My Prediction: Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky).
I Would Vote for: Rebecca Hall (Vicky Cristina Barcelona).

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight).
Nominees: Tom Cruise (Tropic Thunder), Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder), Ralph Fiennes (The Duchess), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt), Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight).
My Prediction: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight).
I Would Vote for: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight).

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Kate Winslet (The Reader).
Nominees: Amy Adams (Doubt), Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Viola Davis (Doubt), Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler), Kate Winslet (The Reader).
My Prediction: Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona).
I Would Vote for: Viola Davis (Doubt).

Best Director - Motion Picture: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire).
Nominees: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire), Stephen Daldry (The Reader), David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon), Sam Mendes (Revolutionary Road).
My Prediction: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire).
I Would Vote for: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire).

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire).
Nominees: Eric Roth (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), John Patrick Shanley (Doubt), Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon), David Hare (The Reader), Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire).
My Prediction: Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire).
I Would Vote for: Eric Roth (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button).

Best Animated Feature: WALL-E.
Nominees: Bolt, Kung Fu Panda, WALL-E.
My Prediction: WALL-E.
I Would Vote for: WALL-E.

Best Foreign Feature: Waltz with Bashir.
Nominees: The Baader-Meinhoff Complex, Everlasting Moments, Gomorrah, I've Loved You So Long, Waltz with Bashir.
My Prediction: Waltz with Bashir.
I Would Vote for: I've Loved You So Long.

Best Original Song - Motion Picture: "The Wrestler" (The Wrestler).
Nominees: "I Thought I Lost You" (Bolt), "Once in a Lifetime" (Cadillac Records), "Gran Torino" (Gran Torino), "Down to Earth" (WALL-E), "The Wrestler" (The Wrestler).
My Prediction: "The Wrestler" (The Wrestler).
I Would Vote for: "Gran Torino" (Gran Torino).

Best Original Score - Motion Picture: A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire).
Nominees: Clint Eastwood (Changeling), Alexendre Desplat (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), James Newton Howard (Defiance), Hans Zimmer (Frost/Nixon), A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire).
My Prediction: Alexendre Desplat (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button).
I Would Vote for: A.R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire).

I would make choices in the TV categories, but I'd just end up embarrassing myself. (Final score on those was 45% -- not as bad as it could've been.)