Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Pleas on Nominations Eve

While it's an accepted fact that people rarely remember which movies and performances won Academy Awards years down the line, we movie-lovers can't help but drool over the most prestigious award show in Hollywood.

In less than six hours, this year's nominees will be announced. (To stick with tradition, I'll set my alarm for 5:00 a.m., watch, and then go back to bed -- a practice that was a lot easier when I was in high school and had to be up by 6:30 anyway.)

My hope that The Dark Knight is nominated notwithstanding--I think it'll snag a Best Picture nom without issue, so I won't include it below--here are the three dark horses in the nominations race I hope to hear called bright and early tomorrow morning:

Kate Beckinsale, Nothing But the Truth (Best Actress) -- A great performance in a great movie (condemnable political subtext aside) that was seen by less than 1,000 people when it opened unadvertised in three theatres in December. Nothing but the Truth's fate is uncertain due to distributor Yari's ongoing bankruptsy, and Oscar recognition may be the only thing that can save it from a direct-to-DVD release. Beckinsale brings heartwrenching humanity and moral complexity to a character that all too easily could've come off as a cold embodiment of textbook themes about good journalism. If all Academy members watched their screener-copies, then a Beckinsale nom should be a lock. Sadly, I bet they didn't.

Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino (Best Actor/Best Director) -- The chances of an Eastwood nomination are becoming better and better now that the film has become a commercial success and an audience favorite. But part of me still worries that the hard-left Academy won't be able to bring itself to highlight Gran Torino's sympathetic portrayal of a character who could be conveniently and ignorantly written off as a "racist old man." His chances aside, Eastwood is deserving in two categories: not only is his last performance one of his best, his job behind the camera is also a great example of Hollywood Style done right.

Evan Rachel Wood, The Wrestler (Best Supporting Actress) -- Mickey Rourke is deserving of all the accolades he's receiving for the year's biggest comeback, as is Marisa Tomei for her vulnerable turn as a confused stripper. But the performance that yanked at my heartstrings the most in my #2 pick for 2008 was that of Evan Rachel Wood. She's only in three scenes, but her interaction with Rourke's estranged father brings more depth to his character than anything else in the film. Wood made headlines for her bigtime debut in Thirteen, but this performance is in another league. When Rourke touts her as one of his favorite actresses, he's not just promoting the movie.

OK--prayers said, it's time to get some shut-eye before I have to slap myself awake and turn on the tube. Watch this page for my reaction to the nominees... possibly right after the announcement, probably after I wake up a second time.